BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading defence companies, employing more than 88,000 people in the UK, USA, India, Australia and Saudi Arabia. The scale of BAE System’s contracts means that effective financial management is vital and it underpins every aspect of the business. The requirement for outstanding financial leaders, with experience of the defence industry, led to the creation of the Finance Leader Development Programme (FLDP); developed with the specific aim to find and nurture future financial leaders.
The FLDP is a five-year graduate entry scheme, designed specifically for high-calibre individuals with the potential and determination to make a real difference in senior finance roles.
In 2007 Learning Dynamics was briefed to produce an induction week for this prestigious programme.
High calibre graduates from a range of disciplines with strong personal qualities such as the ability to be analytical, adaptable and resilient.
Solution & Method:
Learning Dynamics designed a 5-day programme incorporating:
- Campus2Corporate – making the transition from student to finance professional.
- Two different business simulations, one of which was customised to BAE Systems.
- Introduction to CIMA, BPP and Excel Training.
- Developing essential people skills: listening skills, conflict management, understanding different social styles, managing your boss, presenting information and data to others, understanding different aspirations, priorities and values.
- The Performance Management System – how objectives are set, monitored and measured. How Performance management encompasses behaviour as well as knowledge, skills and objective achievement.
Desired Learning Outcomes:
To understand the psychological contract between you and your business i.e. “The unwritten set of expectations between employer and employee regarding implicit rights and obligations of each party”
To improve understanding of the business culture and behavioural skills expected of FDLP Grads.
To enhance awareness of the impact you have on others through the way you present yourself.
To develop business acumen and commercial awareness of how decisions made in the business impact on the financial performance of the company.
To build a strong sense of community amongst FLDP Grads in order to retain them throughout the five years of the programme and beyond through development of an effective support network.
“Learning Dynamics facilitated amazingly well and provided invaluable experience and opportunities.”
“By far the best business skills coaching and team building that I have ever done. Very informative and reassuring. Aside from the excellent “Learning Dynamics”, expert input from BPP, Excel Training and Financial Directors were all very much appreciated.”
Learning Dynamics continues to work on this programme for BAE Systems.